Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Burnt Mountain

Burnt MountainBurnt Mountain by Anne Rivers Siddons

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Thayer, unlike her genteel Southern mother and older sister is a tomboy through and through, especially when she's in her old hut on the riverbank. She connects more with her beloved father, busy headmaster at a boys' school and her grandmother, the lovely matriarch of the family. Several tragedies occur as she grows from childhood into a beautiful young woman herself and Thayer is betrayed by her mother, especially after an event that changes her life forever. After entering college she falls in love with Aengus, a Irish professor, and they make their home back in Atlanta, near Burnt Mountain. But, as Aengus slips more into his Celtic mythology, Thayer feels she will lose him forever.



I usually love Siddons' way of writing. There are a few authors that can make you hear, smell, and taste the characters and settings. This novel, although I enjoyed most it, seemed to fray near the end and I wasn't quite sure how I felt when I closed the pages of the book. Maybe confused?



View all my reviews

No comments: