Friday, February 17, 2012

Unbroken

Unbroken: A World War II Story Of Survival, Resilience, And RedemptionUnbroken: A World War II Story Of Survival, Resilience, And Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


How could anyone survive the horrors and degradation of body and soul of World War ll POW camps? Although many men and women did just that, this book focuses on the true story of Louie Zamperini, a troubled youth, an Olympic contender, a bombardier on a B-24, and a survivor of both a plane crash in the Pacific and Japan's POW camps. To top it off, Louie survived the after effects of war on return to the US - flashbacks and PTSD and goes on to create camps for other troubled youth.

I had actually seen an article in Guideposts on the power of the human will and forgiveness and it mentioned Zamperini's experience and piqued my interest. Written by the same amazing author that penned Seabiscuit, Laura Hillenbrand, Unbroken is a goldmine for information on World War ll - a time period in which I've always had an interest. I'm not sure how to put into words the effect this biography had on me. The power of the human spirit is phenomenal....




View all my reviews

No comments: