Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas Novella

A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas NovellaA Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas Novella by Liz Curtis Higgs
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I so loved this little inspirational book that I read it twice - yep! I've always been drawn to
a. novels set in Scotland
b. 1890s, Victorian era
c. chivalry - excuse me, where is it now??
d. train stations
e. novels set around the Christmastide

Well, I could go on, but this little gem covers all the above bases and more. Gentle and lovely, set in snowy Stirling, Scotland, it's Christmas Eve and unfortunately Miss Margaret Campbell has fled her parent's small home, due to her injured brother's unreasonable demands and bitterness, and is ready to take the next train back to her lonely home in Edinburgh. When the train with all its passengers finally gets underway, all her plans are derailed when a huge snowbank blocks their way. Fellow travelers join together to help or carry the injured and children walk the several miles back to Stirling, including red-haired Mr. Gordon Shaw, a quiet, young newspaperman who had sorry Christmas plans of his own. When Margaret finds out who Mr. Shaw really is - can forgiveness be extended, especially since it's the Christmas season?

View all my reviews

No comments: