Saturday, July 9, 2011

Wintergirls

WintergirlsWintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I read this as a e-book through my library while I was training on a Barnes and Noble Color Nook. Laurie Halse Anderson is a wonderful author of teen books and this work of fiction deserves 5 stars. I couldn't put it down and worried incessantly about the main character all the way through the book. I've known a few teens who have cut themselves to alleviate emotional and/or physical pain, but this gritty book gave me more insight on that and the everyday stress many of our teens are under.

Lia has an eating disorder, as does Cassie, who at one time was her bestie. They had made a pact years before to be the skinniest girls in the class. Both also had messy family lives. Now grown apart, on the night of her death, Cassie called Lia's cell 33 times - but Lia hadn't answered and now, guilt-ridden, continues the pact of losing weight. Will Lia accept help or spiral down to death like Cassie?



View all my reviews

No comments: